Monday, August 24, 2009

Waste Not.

Inspired by Project 90, I have emptied the contents of one of my junk jars to see what was inside.
I have always kept a junk jar. I find that large mouth jars work really well for throwing the small random doodads you have laying around into. It makes them somewhat visible for when you need to find that little something, but contains them so they're not lost all over your room!

Most of the knickknacks in this jar, I will probably never need or use again, but like Song Dong's mother and her belief in the Chinese concept of wu jin qi yong, or "waste not," I am just not ready to part with them. Most everything can be repurposed in some way and maybe one day, I will empty this jar again, in search of a tiny monkey, and there it will be! For now I like it displayed in a jar.



I had a little too much fun looking through the junk jar, so I pulled down another jar from the top of my shelves. My zipper jar...

... and I played with them, making some patterns...

I enjoy lining things up! Must be why I studied graphic design in college.

3 comments:

  1. Cool zippers! Love the seahorse charm in the bottom left corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that might just be the second best jar of junk I have ever seen. How awesome. I can't believe you're not friends with my friend Chloe. You two have got to hangout some time. You can stalk her here: http://itschloe.com

    ReplyDelete